Monday, November 21, 2011

Mixed Signals


MIXED SIGNALS

I can’t understand why this is happening again. Can’t understand why ‘lucky in love’ never works for me. And I loved Tunde oh! Maybe I even loved him too much sef, spoilt him so much till he began to believe I loved him more than he loved me. Imagine! Me! Tunde was an accountant in a thriving Oil & Gas company. I remember the big O my mouth formed when he told me his take home package. Because not only was it huge, Tunde never gave me money for anything. I came to his apartment every weekend to cook soup he’ll eat during the week. Come and watch him frown when I ask for the money! Food he’ll digest and polish all the pots and pans! It was from Tunde I heard I looked sexy in a helmet, so he’ll rather give me fare for bikes than cab. When he said it was over, I didn’t know when I whispered ‘at last’. In spite of the wasted two years, the money and all I put into it. Mschew!
So here... Broke, bored and broken. Tolani had dragged me out to join her and her boyfriend because it was his birthday. As the night stretched, I began to believe Tolani invited me out to rub Seyi in my face. Every conversation they exchanged was ended with a kiss; I feared they’ll suffer bruised lips before the night ended.
“Are you okay Fikayo?” Seyi asked.
How nice of you to notice me. I thought. “Excellent.” I said trying a thumbs–up. I looked awful so I resumed to my sulking. Tolani didn’t even spare me a glance.
It was either the La Casera I was sipping had been spiked or that was actually the third time that guy was walking, oh sorry swaggering past our table, staring as if I was in the wrong company.
Well wasn’t I?
He stopped, this time facing Seyi. “Seyo!”Seyi got up, squinted and then they hugged.
Handsome. I agreed.
“It’s been what...” they hugged again before the introduction which got Handsome impatient until he was introduced to me! He dragged a seat towards me, sat and smiled. The heartbeats became irregular.
His name– Priye. Smart, sexy and suave. He was very deep, soft and romantic.
He loved to work really hard and had influenced my life and attitude towards life so positively. We didn’t have so much in common but I guess we subsisted because we both independently respected what the other wanted. We were already six months into it and I had started feeling all the signals. The signals that came with break-up. First Priye got unnecessarily angry if I did the most natural thing.
I wondered why he brought up dinner at this Chinese restaurant when I knew I was very much likely to be upset at the end of it all. My face felt oily but I remembered how he had impatiently sighed to no end, while I took my time to dress up and I didn’t want a make-up kit spoiling the night as it was Valentine’s eve. I knew that this was a ‘pity dinner’. The one some men threw right before a break-up
“Why not taste the bread?” I glanced up at him. Did I mention Priye was handsome? I wonder why he was unnecessarily impatient. But since this was it, I planned to make the best of it.
“I don’t feel like flour tonight.” I managed in my calmest voice.
“Oh yes, you’ll eat the bread.” He was shoving the plate towards me.
See wahala oh! “I don’t want!” I said sternly. Much as I had raised my voice, I was surprised no one in the restaurant glanced our way.
“Then you’ll have to help me break this one because I want bread.” He took the loaf at the top, passed it to me and crossed his arms, waiting, daring to see what I’ll do.
“We don’t have to end this badly, you know?”
“I have no idea what you’re talking about. Can I have my bread?”
When did he become so unfeeling? I hadn’t seen this side of him before. Ever!
I tore the bread into two halves and a clatter hit my plate and bounced off it. By the time I found what rolled away and saw it was a ring, Priye had knelt in my presence and the other diners turned out to be some of his friends, his brother and then Tolani. I was stunned!
“Marry me.” He said smiling softly.
I got the signals mixed up this time. I said to myself.
“Yes.” I whispered to him.
“We sure can’t hear you from this side.” His brother called from the corner of the floor.
“Yes.” I screamed. He kissed me and everyone got up to hug and congratulate us. Still shaken and nursing a glass of wine, I caught his glance from across the room, he smiled and winked and there I knew I had finally hooked The One.
Oyinda!

1 comment:

  1. This better be fiction...if this really occur the marriage is doomed. First the chic was anticipating a break-up and all because she see a ring, she goes all 360. I grew up believing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" but now Girls just want to get hitched.

    ReplyDelete